Director / Head of Trusts, Pensions & Private Client
+44 1624 632965
“Annemarie Hughes at DQ Advocates provides not only speedy service but detailed and proactive solutions for our trust and company needs. We receive good value for money and access to other advocates at DQ where there is overlap in matters where other legal input is required”.
Annemarie gives "solid and understandable advice on complex issues"
"Knowledgeable, experienced and friendly"
"gives balanced and clear advice on complex issues"
Annemarie is "strong on detail and presents it in an intelligible manner"
Annemarie Hughes is a director and heads DQ’s trusts, pensions & private client team.
Annemarie has significant experience advising private clients/HNWIs, TCSP's and insurance and pensions companies on complex trust, pensions and private client matters, both domestic and international.
Annemarie's specialist areas of pracice are:
- Private Client
- Regulatory and tax investigations
- Probate & Wills
Annemarie regularly presents at international and domestic conferences for leading conference organisers on all aspects of trust law, pensions, foundations and tax information exchange and investigations.
Annemarie is a Chartered Tax Adviser and is STEP qualified (including STEP Advanced Certificate in Trust Disputes).
Notable cases in which Annemarie has been involved:
- advised trust companies on complex contentious and non-contentious trust matters involving Isle of Man trusts and foundations.
- advises in relation to complex trust and private client matters involving international clients and Isle of Man fiduciaries, including advising trustees in applications to the High Court in respect of international freezing injunctions, claims against trusts by trustees in bankruptcy and applying to Court for directions.
- advised in relation to United States IRS and Department of Justice investigations involving Isle of Man companies and trusts including attending formal interviews as advisor with United States authorities
Notable publications to which Annemarie has contributed:
- Bloomsbury Publishing – Planning and Administration of Offshore and Onshore Trusts – Isle of Man Chapter;
- Chambers & Partners – Private Wealth Guide – Isle of Man Chapter;
- Lexis Nexis – Private Client Jurisdictional Guide – Isle of Man Chapter;
- Lexis Nexis – Offshore Tax – Isle of Man Chapter; and
- STEP Journal
Annemarie is listed in the following publications:
- Legal 500 2016 as a Leading Individual in Private Client, Trusts and Tax and Insurance & Pensions;
- Chambers HNW – ranked lawyer
- Citywealth Leaders List 2016 - Annemarie is recognised as a leading offshore trust lawyer
- Citywealth Powerwomen – Annemarie is included in the IFC 2016 Powerwomen Top 200 list
- Who's Who Legal Private Client 2015
Annemarie is a member of the following professional bodies:
- Director of the Isle of Man branch of STEP
- CIOT Committee member
- Member of ITPA
- Member of IoD Isle of Man Branch