+44 1624 632957
"knowledgeable and trustworthy. Her advice is clearly structured and reassuring".
"is very good, certainly in respect of employment law on the island. She really knows her stuff"
"an excellent lawyer who constantly provides excellent service"
"Commercially minded and adaptable to every situation"
"She has a strong knowledge of employment legislation and the ability to translate this into a practical framework when dealing with complex issues."
"has all the qualities one looks for in a lawyer"
"a highly skilled lawyer with excellent presentation ability"
"very savvy and vibrant litigator"
Leanne is a Director within the Dispute Resolution team. Leanne is also Head of DQ’s specialist Employment team.
Leanne is a qualified Manx Advocate and Commissioner for Oaths (having previously practiced as a solicitor in Northern Ireland), who regularly advises both domestic and international clients on a broad range of corporate and commercial disputes. Leane is also a qualified Data Protection Practitioner.
Leanne specialises in employment law and has extensive experience in dealing with both non-contentious HR matters and contentious litigation both in the High Court and the Employment Tribunal.
Leanne's specialist areas of practice are:
- Employment Law
- Data Protection
- Dispute Resolution
- Commercial Contracts
- Professional Negligence Claims
- Immigration and Work Permits
Leanne provides training in the following areas:
- Equality Law
- Disciplinary and Grievance Procedures
- Legal Professional Privilege
- Data Protection
Leanne is available to prepare and deliver bespoke in-house training, as required.
Notable cases in which Leanne has been involved include:
- Defending the estate of one of the non-executive directors of Heather Capital Limited in respect of claims against his personal estate for c. £250 million;
- Advising the Department of Health and Social Care in respect of a number of breaches of confidentiality by a former employee and successfully obtaining injunctive relief against further disclosure (DOH v Al-Hiwidi, 26 October 2011);
- Inquest re MJD (24 February to 19 March 2014); Jury inquest into a death in detention held over 3 weeks with some 70 witnesses; Article 2 ECHR engaged. Jury found accidental death contributed to by neglect. Detailed evidential analysis of Police Forensic Medical Examiner processes, transfer of medical information from police custody to prison health care, internal prison systems as to health care and emergency resuscitation procedures. Narrative verdict and fifteen Rule 34 recommendations made by Coroner of Inquests;
- Representing Origo Partners PLC (value c. £100 million) against a claim by one of its shareholders, Secure Nominees Limited, seeking to wind up the company on just and equitable grounds and on the grounds that the affairs of the company had been, were being, or were likely to be conducted in a manner oppressive or unfairly prejudicial to such member in his capacity as a member;
- Lorna Taylor v (1) Alexia Hewett (2) Brian Hewett (3) A D Hewett Dental Practice 13/145 (judgment dated 9 December 2015) – a preliminary hearing to determine the employment status of a dentist under the Employment Act 2006;
- Representing the estate of Mr Christopher Scott in a high value clinical negligence claim against the Department of Health and Social Care following the delayed diagnosis of a malignant melanoma.
Notable publications to which Leanne has contributed include:
- ‘The International Comparative Legal Guide To: Employment & Labour Law 2017’, published 2017 by Global Legal Group.
Chambers and Partners
Leanne is individually ranked by Chambers and Partners UK Guide 2017 as a Star Associate (Offshore: Employment - Isle of Man). Clients hail Leanne for her "exceptionally clear and practicable" advice, with it being noted that she enjoys a strong reputation in a wide range of contentious and non-contentious employment matters. Sources say: "Leanne is someone who I feel has always truly been behind me and my business challenges."
Leanne is individually ranked by Chambers and Partners UK Guide (2015 and 2016 editions) as a Star Associate (Offshore: Employment - Isle of Man). Sources say Leanne McKeown "listens and tries to understand the dynamics beyond the obvious issues that surface." Clients attest that Leanne "is very good, certainly in respect of employment law on the island. She really knows her stuff".
Leanne is individually ranked by Chambers and Partners Europe Guide 2014 as a Star Associate (Employment – Isle of Man) where it is noted that she “enters the rankings as a result of her in-depth involvement in a wide range of employment matters. She garners robust client feedback, and is described as "knowledgeable and trustworthy. Her advice is clearly structured and reassuring".”
DQ Advocates is listed Band 1 in The Legal 500 and described as "excellent and provides prompt, sensible advice”. Leanne McKeown is described by clients as being a “great asset” to the firm and “has all the qualities one looks for in a lawyer".
Other notable quotes include:
Legal 500 – 2017
- “great strategist”;
- “commercially minded and adaptable to every situation”
Legal 500 – 2016
- "very savvy and vibrant litigator"
- "has all the qualities one looks for in a lawyer"
Legal 500 – 2015
- "a highly skilled lawyer with excellent presentation ability"
Leanne is a member of the Chamber of Commerce Employment and Skills Committee and the Employment Lawyers Association. Leanne is also a member of the Institute of Directors and holds an Institute of Directors Diploma in Company Direction.