Tara is a Senior Associate in the Dispute Resolution team.
The majority of Tara’s practice is corporate and commercial litigation. She regularly advises banking institutions, corporations, liquidators and local corporate and trust service providers on high value and complex contentious matters; making regular appearances before the Isle of Man High Court of Justice and Staff of Government (Appeal Division).
In particular, Tara has gained a wealth of experience in insolvency matters having, over the last four years, advised the liquidators of the Louis Group on one of the most demanding liquidations in the Isle of Man involving more than 150 group companies. This has included a pooling of the assets and liabilities across the group, seven schemes of arrangement and numerous applications to the Isle of Man High Court regarding the powers of the liquidators.
Tara's specialist areas of practice are:
- contentious trust matters
- director's negligence and breach of duty claims
Notable cases in which Tara has been involved include:
- Representing Lloyds Bank International Limited in its ongoing and long-running dispute with The Slegaby Estate Limited and Samuel George Alder including obtaining a judgment for c £2.7m and striking out a claim against the Bank for c £4m as an abuse of process.
- Advising the liquidators of the Louis Group on the winding up of a group of around 150 companies.
- Defending the non-executive directors of Heather Capital Limited in respect of claims against each of them personally for c £250 m.
- Defending a local corporate service provider against a c £28m claim for negligence and breach of fiduciary duties brought in respect of the Axiom Legal Financing Fund.
Notable publications to which Tara has contributed include:
- ‘Restructuring and Insolvency - Getting the Deal Through’, Tenth edition, published 2016 by Law Business Research;
- ‘Chambers Private Wealth Global Practice Guide: the Isle of Man Chapter’, published 2017;
- ‘The International Comparative Legal Guide To: Employment & Labour Law 2017’, published 2017 by Global Legal Group.
Tara was recognised as an “excellent courtroom advocate” in the 2016 Legal 500 rankings and noted as being “innovative and commercially minded” in the 2015 Legal 500 rankings.
Tara is on the Committee of the Isle of Man Business Network, is a member of the Isle of Man Law Society and is a member of the Chamber of Commerce FuEL Group.